Mango Days


Conveniently, my luxurious student accommodation complex has it's own cafe called Mango. Mango is a small scale grocery store as well as a cafe. The first few days abroad I would stroll by the store; however, never made my way inside. A week later, I finally peeked my head through the automatic glass doors. I saw a small sign which advertised the, "Three Euro Americano and Scone." This unbeatable deal lured me in.

Now, after multiple visits per week, I would like to consider myself a "regular." Mango has become a place to sip coffee in the morning, study in the afternoon and grab a snack at night. The smell of freshly baked bread lingers throughout the cafe all day. The friendly staff greets every student that roams around the shop. Usually in the morning the owner, a tall middle-aged Irish man, rings up my coffee. He has become a familiar face for me. After I pay for my breakfast, I hunt for a table. The best one is perfectly positioned by a window and an outlet. If I'm lucky the sun beams through the window gifting me a layer of warmth. The upbeat music eases my mood as I drudge through my homework. Around 5:45 p.m. the workers sweep the wooden floor in preparation for closing time at 6 p.m. I know it's time to go.

The development of a daily routine has enabled me to feel at home. I have created a life for myself in Ireland. Visits to Mango Café have become a part of this life. Many of my daily activities revolve around Mango. It is the location I hail my cab and the deemed "meeting spot" for any outing. A day has not gone by without the mention of Mango. I believe it is important to find a place of peace and comfort abroad. I will always cherish the charming cafe for giving me this.

Comments

Popular Posts